This is Gregory Lois’ practical, up-to-date, and easy-to-understand guide to workers’ compensation claims in New York. This book is designed for employers, attorneys, claim adjusters, physicians, self-insured employers and vocational rehabilitation workers.
This guide is written in plain English by a New York State attorney and provides a detailed analysis of relevant statutes and regulations; a complete recap of recent court decisions including 2015 & 2016 cases; and a full description of current practice. This book provides a behind-the-scenes look at the complicated issues and makes the law understandable for business owners.
About the Book.
List Price: $39.00
6″ x 9″ (15.24 x 22.86 cm)
Black & White on White paper
ISBN-13: 978-1536873917 (CreateSpace-Assigned)
BISAC: Law / Labor & Employment
New in the 2017 edition:
- Updated rates and benefits sections with 2016-2017 rates.
- New “denied case” flowchart (Chapter 1).
- Expanded recommendations for use of surveillance at trial (Ch. 2).
- New discussion on “Owner Controlled Insurance Policies” (Ch. 23).
- Updated discussion of WCL §25-a to include discussion of April 14, 2016 finding closure of Special Fund for Reopened Cases unconstitutional (Ch. 18)
- New Appendix with chart of maximum rates in effect by year (App. 5).
Includes a summary of the Medical Treatment Guidelines (Chapter 8, beginning at page 79) and the New York State Guidelines for Determining Permanent Impairment. Up-to-date chapters on the Medicare Secondary Payer Act and MMSEA, OSHA regulations, and HIPAA considerations are included.
[Revision date: August 6, 2016]
- Chapter 1: Claim Overview (beginning at page 5)
- Chapter 2: Fighting Frivolous Claims (page 29)
- Chapter 3: Jurisdiction (page 35)
- Chapter 4: Employers and Employees (page 41)
- Chapter 5: Defenses (page 53)
- Chapter 6: Arising Out Of and In the Course of Employment (page 63)
- Chapter 7: Indemnity Benefits (page 69)
- Chapter 8: Medical Benefits and the Medical Treatment Guidelines (page 79)
- Chapter 9: Death Benefits (page 93)
- Chapter 10: Off the Job injuries; Disability Benefits (page 97)
- Chapter 11: Traumatic Injuries (page 99)
- Chapter 12: Occupational Claims (page 103)
- Chapter 13: Trials and Hearings (page 109)
- Chapter 14: Independent Medical Evaluations (page 121)
- Chapter 15: Understanding Loss of Wage Earning Capacity (LWEC) (page 129)
- Chapter 16: Settling Claims (page 151)
- Chapter 17: Reopening Closed PPD Cases (page 161)
- Chapter 18: Liens, Third Party Settlements, Special Fund Reimbursement, and Loss Transfer Litigation. (page 169)
- Chapter 19: Penalties. (page 189)
- Chapter 20: Medicare Secondary Payer Act (page 195)
- Chapter 21: OSHA- Developing a Comprehensive Prevention Strategy for Workplace Injuries (page 205)
- Chapter 22: HIPAA (page 215)
- Appendix I: Glossary of Terms (page 231)
- Appendix II: New York “Cheat Sheets.” (page 243)
- Appendix III: Scheduled Loss of Use Chart (page 245)
- Appendix IV: LWEC Weeks Chart (page 247)
- Appendix V: Maximum Rates by Year (page 249)
- Index (page 251)
Author: Gregory Lois